Roa Island Boating Club

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: section 4.1
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 pm 

4.1. No boat launched from the Roa Island Boating Club is to tow a water skier.
Water skiing and the use of Jet Skis / P.W.C. from Club premises are strictly forbidden.
could someone explain why the above rule is in place? surely as a boating club we should embrace all forms of waterbourne activities?? :?: :?:

Post subject: Re: section 4.1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 am 

In the past there were problems with nuisance water skiers going through the moorings and there is a speed limit within Walney Channel: my original application to join the club was refused as I was known to waterski.
When this rule was originally put in place I don't think there were PWC!
I will bring this up again at our next committee meeting and let you know what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:16 pm 

I do not think it is safe to ecourage high speed PWC's and skiing activities from the club, as we have too much activity in launching and recovering large vessels and also small inflatables constantly comming in and out of the slipway. It is also very close to a busy sea channel with lots of traffic at the moment. There is however pleanty of room at the back of Peil island to persue this sport in a safe sheltered bay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:11 am 

ian poss wrote:
I do not think it is safe to ecourage high speed PWC's and skiing activities from the club, as we have too much activity in launching and recovering large vessels and also small inflatables constantly comming in and out of the slipway. It is also very close to a busy sea channel with lots of traffic at the moment. There is however pleanty of room at the back of Peil island to persue this sport in a safe sheltered bay.

surely by encouraging people to be part of the club and being aware of the boating etiquette that all our members adhere to would be beneficial to the water bourne community we have in the area?? as for actually ski-ing or jetskiing from from the slipway i don't think anybody would be doing that sort of thing due to moorings and dinghys!! plus they would have to dodge the 'slow moving!!' windsurfers betwen the moorings!
commodore- thanks for raising the issue at the next meeting and trying to bring the club uptodate :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am 

The Barrow Sea Sports have asked many individuals who jet ski and water ski if they would attend one of our meetings to discuss saftey / speed on the channel. To-date they have declined, which leads our association to the conclusion that they are not the type which would join clubs. The last Harbour Master tried to prosecute one of these jet skiers for his dangerous behaviour around the Peil ferry, this shows they have no thought for the safety of other water users. If they were to be allowed to join our club, would they slow down around the launch way and other small vessels / inflatables, Ithink not. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 pm 

i waterski, my friends waterski ,some of my mates have jetskis and i or any of them have NOT been approached by anyone!! So who are all these people who were asked?, barrow sea sports ??? i've been water skiing for 30 years and never once been approached by them!! so maybe we shouldn't tar people with the same brush, or else all fishermen would be selling fish, all sailors would be waffys ,all windsurfers would be reckless,all jetskiers are speed freaks, and maybe all clubs are outdated and bigotted against change?? Education is whats required not Exclusion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 am 

There is a speed limit within the port of Barrow which includes all of Walney Channel, this limit is 8 kts. There are notices on both ferry slipway and both sides of the Walney bridge. The only way anyone can and should exced this limit is the apply to the harbour master for permission, have any of the jet skiers / water skiers done this??? The port of Barrow starts at the northern end of Walney and is all the way out to the Knoll.

The Harbour office issues each year a saftey notice to all, a copy of which is on Roa Island Club notice board, it is there for your saftey as well as every one else, the fact that you have always done something doesn't make it right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 pm 

does the port authority allowing racing within the channels of passage?
as i said previously EDUCATION IS REQUIRED NOT EXCLUSION!!!
as we are a BOATING CLUB(not just a sailing club!!) the time is to move on and accept change, not sit like grumpy(or jealous??? :lol: ) old sailors. the potential for OUR club is phenomenal we have a superb clubhouse with excellent bar staff,workshop facilities,access to the water no matter what size of tide ,a tractor and a quad bike and the fees for this are next to nothing, so why not allow all users of the sea to join and accept that not everyone should be wind powered and there are probably lots of BOATERS that would like to be in our club.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am 

If you feel so strongly about allowing these types of craft to join the club, why not join the clubs committee or are you the type who prefers shout in the back ground and do nothing about it. As to grumpy old members, many of us have done the water skiing bit many years ago but now have more consideration for others, and yes, yacht racing is allowed in the channel providing it does not impead the passage of commercial vessels.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 pm 

the type that shouts from the back?? :roll: no i 'll tell anyone straight to their face quite happily ,as for joining the committee, i have to many other commitments and the committee as it stands seems to be doing just fine.
so you used to water ski?? so it was okay for you when you were younger but not ok for the younger ones today????? grumpy old man does spring to mind :lol:
as this is a forum and under the section 'HAVE YOUR SAY' no 'shouting' is required! and i would expect the committe to be looking at the forum prior to any meetings so i'm sure all our concerns and questions will be raised and answered without any shouting : :D